3 Mar 2006

Hail Mary

Day 3. WE BUMPED! This means one more bump tomorrow, and we get "blades" (code for really cool trophy).

We pushed our boat, the Mary Bennett, halfway down the river to bump Corpus Christi. Wow! It was insane. Pain pain pain. I was feeling a bit sluggish before the race. But i managed to be energized and give it some real power in the water.

There was no snow today (hooray) but it was quite cold anyway. However, the sun does help, and there was no wind. So, nice weather, but not feeling too sure about what would happen. I went in thinking, "this will hurt" and just went for it. There were a couple of strokes where i didn't feel like i could move. But i just focused, stared at Kristin's neck, and pushed. Steph (our cox) was screaming, and i took that sound of her voice and tried to stick it in my feet, through my back. Drive! Push! Lengthen! Now! And somehow, it worked. I thought i might choke, and again i had this searing pain in my chest like my lungs would explode. About that time, we came around the bend and my friends Nick and Wei were on the bank - i heard them yelling for us, and i grimaced as i tried to smile. At the same time we rowed into sight of St Hilda's boathouse, and the yells coming from the bank were great - i honestly think the cheers help to get some power out of nowhere, when you think there's none left. Thank you, everyone for coming out to support us! And, here's trying for blades tomorrow. Saying my hail Marys tonight.

No comments: