8 Jun 2014

goodbye, house

(I moved out of my house on friday. I wanted to write the house a little goodbye letter)

Goodbye house
Goodbye commute - snoball stand in a driveway, logging trucks barreling opposite me in the morning, house with the perpetual yard sale and small mountians of sand, 15 foot political signs advertising conservative candidates, hand painted signs advertising land for sal or waterslides
Goodbye goats - the four remaining
Goodbye cats - the nine remaining and especially Cleo who died suddenly a few days ago
Goodbye frogs - cacophony!
Goodbye birds and bugs
Goodbye lightening bugs!  Always blinking, as if taunting
Goodbye Father Larry and your backyard shooting range next door
Goodbye to the good days and bad
The loaves of bread and stews
Goodbye to the warm safe place to lay my head
And even goodbye to the spiders.  The enormous, bone chillingly large and terrifying spiders.  I learned your names, I tried to get along with you.  Huntsman. Wolf. Brown recluse.  Goodbye!

Next stop, Japan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naomi, Goats and cats? Do you mean they were yours, or the neighbor's? I am delighted about your Japan adventure - jellies and tea, what more could you want? Best from me, and from Wild Connections. Jean Smith

grasshopper said...

Thanks so much Jean! The goats and cats are my landlord's/neighbors.