18 Jan 2006

We're just proteins, man

Talking about the idea of a species today...how do we make a genetic fingerprint, a genetic description of a species? We essentially map out the genetic code that creates different proteins. So if you make certain proteins in a certain way, then you are a different species from me. So. I thought it was all about eating your leafy greens...no. Its all about proteins.

Well, proteins and theories. I've also been thinking about this idea of species as hypotheses. Its a bit...mind boggling. I feel sort of like my disintigration is taking place (as in I Heart Huckabees) since i was always taught that a species is such a tidy little concept - a hard fact. Not so. Its just a theory, a hypothesis that can be tested and changed and lumped and split. There's nothing hard and fast about it. Once you get the blanket thing...

No comments: