26 Jul 2006

Good customer service! In England!

In response to my English friends feeling somewhat slighted by the England day = bad day comment (sorry guys, you know its not personal), i have a GOOD story! I will even consider renouncing my definition of an England day. Here's the story: i needed to return some headphones i bought through Amazon.co.uk. You can track all of your orders, and see your account history online. When i went to find out where to call - since the headphones are outside the 30-day return period - after some searching i came across a "contact customer service" link. When you go to click on "call customer support", you type your number into a box, and THEY call you right back! Its brilliant, because all mobile phones (and land lines, for that matter) charge for outgoing calls but not incoming! So you don't have to waste your minutes calling customer service! Amazon.co.uk has renewed my faith that there IS such a thing as good English customer service - also they resolved my issue, and said they'd send me a replacement for my faulty headphones. I stand (somewhat) corrected - before i renounce my definition, i should point out that Amazon was originally an - ahem - American company. So - i'll gather more evidence and renounce if necessary. Until then, let it be known that not all companies are party to the VORTEX of black-hole customer service in England.

No comments: